Monday, April 13, 2009

Goblin Hunting

Anyone who has taken a baby camping had better sympathize with me today. It's HARD! But totally worth it when I see how excited everyone is to be out there in the dirt and grass. Ella and Zoe start bouncing off trees when we go camping, they are that excited. So this week we headed down south and camped in Greenriver State Park (okay, so we were basically in a golf course, it was still camping.) and then down to Goblin Valley the next day. Ella's a list maker. She had her list of what to bring and one of everything that had to be done while we were there, right down to the "spooky stories by the campfire." ("But make sure they are funny at the end.") During the stories, Zoe said, "Daddy, I'm scared of the spooky trees. They look like my hand." And she showed him a claw hand. Yes, they did look like that. Max and I slept in the van, thinking it would be easier. WRONG. He was so scared and screamed like I had never heard him scream before. I had to hold him on my chest the entire night, so no sleepies for me. I couldn't wait for day to come.

The next day we made it to Goblin Valley in beautiful weather. If you have never been there, you should really go. It is so cool. I've been before, but never with kids, and it was crazy how much the loved it. They hiked and climbed and pointed out "goblins" until they couldn't keep their eyes open, and even then they wanted to keep going. Once we got home, Zoe says to us, "I smell like a ladybug!" We asked her if that was good. She said, "No, it's so stiinnkky!" Well, we all smelled like ladybugs. And we were all so stuffed with RedVines that we'll probably poop red for a week. WORTH IT!




My two favorite goblins!









A video of Ella and Zoe going through a rite of passage....helping Dad put up the tent!



2 comments:

Ruthie said...

You're a brave woman! Applause! Looks like you all had a great time.

Alicia said...

We should plan a camping trip together! I guess it will have to be next summer though, but it would be so much fun!!!