Monday, February 16, 2009

Death to the Smoke Detector!!


Sometimes, not often, I do stupid things. Okay, it's pretty often. But this is one I wanted to remember, because it will be up there on the inside joke list for future Beardall vacations to come...Purification!

Last year my family spent a few days at Bear Lake. We rented this great cabin, really beautiful with about 20 foot vaulted ceilings to give room for huge windows with gorgeous views. All very nice. Until the second night...By this time I am exhausted. Playing all day, staying up extremely late with the fam and waking up super early to start it all again as soon as possible. Well, this night, I am lying in bed when I hear a voice in the darkness! Scared the crap out of me, and it had the strangest message too..."Low Battery" it warned me in an ominous voice. Followed by repeated chirps every 10 seconds for one minute and then ANOTHER warning, "Low Battery". You ask how I know the timing, 10 seconds vs. 15, who could tell? I could, because I listened to it for two hours straight. Could no one else hear it? I was going crazy, nothing could drown it out! So I tiptoed into the hall, and the life saving piece of @#%! was at the tippy top of the 20 foot ceiling!!! Not only that, but I could hear others! I went through the cabin and found the second fire alarm, just outside my parents room and right next to Jenny and Marc sleeping on the couch. I was going to do them a favor and turn theirs off. I climbed on a chair and pushed what I thought was the "silence button" when an ear splitting alarm resounded through the whole house! Surprisingly, only a few awoke. (It's about 4:00 a.m. at this time.) And the dang thing wouldn't shut up. I took this alarm, which I couldn't turn off, outside and but it in my mom's car! Smart? I thought so. One down, two to go. Together, my mom, Marc and I went to the basement where the rest of the family was sleeping and, joined by Fred, expiramented on a third alarm. Again, ear splitting wails that we quickly turned off, but not the deathly chirp and voice. This one went outside on the balcony. Some of you might ask, "Where is your fire fighter husband in all of this? Wouldn't HE know how to turn them off." Well, this is when I went to get him. He was sleeping soundly on the balcony, missing all of the not so much fun. (He does that. Sleep outside, I mean.) He called the office of the cabin where a maintenance man would meet him (about 2 miles away) after the m. man woke up, dressed and drove over there. So Andy headed out while I sat on a couch and stared at the devilish alarm. A few minutes later, he was back! That was fast. Well, he had gone to a construction site next door and stolen one of their HUGE ladders and just brought it on over in the middle of the night. He and Marc maneuvered the enormous thing up the stairs and the maddness finally came to an end. Or so I thought...
The next day after breakfast I went to find Andy. He had gone on a bike ride when a thunderstorm hit. I jumped in my mom's car and headed out. Too late to remember..."chirp". I couldn't get away from it. I shoved my nemesis under my butt to muffle it and cursed it the entire ride until I found Andy (of course he was fine) and went back. Now I was safe and sound in the quiet cabin. I went into my room only to hear the muffled chirp! Fred! I knew my brother in law had hidden it somewhere. I tore my room apart, the mattress was thrown on the floor, suitcases ripped apart!!! I spent the day going crazy looking for it, to this day I still don't know where he hid it. He denies doing it, but I don't believe that for a second.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still can't believe most of us slept through all that!!! I am double glad you were there to wake the rest of us up just in case there really was a fire.